Staying healthy while on the go can be a challenge. Life is busy! Personal commitments and appointments, family life, activities, school, homework, social time, birthday parties, and holiday celebrations can leave you feeling pulled in a thousand different directions without focus on what really matters… your health! If you are not functioning optimally, these day-to-day activities can be exhausting! Ensuring that you are ready to go with proper fuel will help you get through even the busiest of days.
With a little planning, preparation and new habits, you can stick to your goals while on the run! Having a few key items always ready to go and within arm’s reach will give you the energy you need to feel empowered to tackle the day!
Ensuring that you are ready to go with proper fuel will help you get through even the busiest of days.
The Power of 3…. always having a protein source, carbohydrate and fat will give you a complete snack on the go! These items are some ideas to try:
- Whole nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanuts, macadamias, etc.). Either measure out a serving to have in a smaller container or be careful with your amount. It is really easy to grab too many handfuls of these little bites of deliciousness and you can go overboard on your calories really quickly.
- Pre-packaged servings of nut butters. Find ones with only 1 or 2 all natural ingredients. Some are 1 tablespoon serving sizes and some are 2 tablespoons, so choose the ones that are best for your overall goals and calorie needs.
- Rice cakes. Although these are higher on the glycemic index than regular rice, they can be a good salty craving satisfier. Just make you pair with a protein source and maybe even spread nut butter on top to help make sure they don’t just increase your blood sugar too fast and leave you feeling hungrier than you were before you ate.
- Protein powder. You can either purchase a large tub and measure out into small containers or even purchase the packets of a single serving size to mix on the go. This way, all you need is some water and a bottle to mix it up and enjoy!
- Baby food packets. Although it sounds weird, many variations of the vegetable baby food is really good if you can get past the texture!
- Fruit. Whole fruit is always best, but dried fruit can also be a great grab and go item! Just be careful again to not eat too much!
- Oats. Either as an add-in to your protein shake or even with a little PB2 and a few tablespoons of water. About ½ cup fits really nicely into a snack-size baggie to have along in your bag or even waiting for you in your car!
Incorporating these few items into your daily routine will ensure that you never have to skip a meal! Stay prepared and be ready to conquer the day!