The Amazing Rice Bowl!
What is my latest obsession for quick and easy meals? Rice bowls! There are so many different ways that you can throw ingredients together and make large batches that meet your specific macros and flavor preferences!
Here is my absolute go-to:
- 1 bag of frozen chicken breasts. You can also use fresh chicken, but I always have a frozen bag for last minute cooking options.
- 1 large bag of frozen broccoli
- 1 cup dry SWEET brown rice. If you hate regular brown rice like I do (I think it tastes like cardboard!), you have to make the switch to sweet brown rice. It is a little sticky, has more of a nutty flavor and is commonly used for sushi. It’s the bomb-diggity
- 1 stick grass-fed cow salted butter
- Fill a crock pot about 2/3 full of water, set on low and add all the chicken breasts. This usually takes around 8 hours to slowly cook. Setting it on high so it cooks quicker tends to make the chicken a lot more dry.
- 1 hour before chicken will be done, add dry rice with 2 cups water into a rice cooker and start it.
- Just before meal time, thaw/steam the broccoli so it is cooked either on the stove top or in the microwave.
- When the chicken is done, pull the chicken out of the crockpot and use 2 forks to pull each apart to shred.
- In a large bowl, mix the shredded chicken, cooked rice and broccoli together.
- Drizzle and stir in butter.
- Add sea salt/pepper to taste.
This makes a huge batch! And even will freeze really well to finish later. You can get creative with adding different vegetables, changing the ratio of rice to your meat, etc. to get a lot of different options! It is super fast, super yummy and easy to eat on the go!